University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

Safety Committee


A Health and Safety Committee exists at our campus. State law mandates establishment of such committees by the Workers’ Compensation Commission at each work site containing 25 or more employees. Although the purpose of this law is to address issues relating to the safety and health of employees in the workplace, the committee on this campus is concerned with conditions that affect the safety and health of all members of the campus community, including students. One of our functions is to investigate accidents and other incidents that occur on campus in order to find ways to improve conditions and keep the campus as safe and hazard-free as possible. We also conduct an annual walk-through of our building to monitor safety conditions and detect potential hazards. In addition, we periodically hold programs to increase safety awareness among the members of the campus community. We meet at least once a semester.

If there are any issues involving health and safety on campus that you would like to see addressed, please contact one of the committee members. A listing of the members of the committee appears at the end of this website and also in various locations throughout the building.



In the event of an emergency, you can contact the University Police. They can be contacted by one of the “code blue” phones that are located on each level of the building in the stairwells, and on each level of the parking garage. University Police can also be contacted via telephone at their main number 236-9950 or their emergency number 236-9978. For an emergency that is life threatening, you may also dial 911 ( 8911 from a university phone). Upon receiving a 911 call, the Waterbury Police will contact the University Police on their Police radio system.

Emergencies are situations in which people or property are at risk of harm. Examples are medical emergencies, suspicious person complaints, or a car accident in the garage.

Emergencies requiring evacuation of building: If the building has to be evacuated, for example in the event of a fire, during a fire drill, or some other situation when elevators cannot be used, the University Police should be contacted to assist individuals with disabilities who are unable to rapidly exit the building on their own.




(Faculty, Staff, and Students employed by the University of Connecticut )

You are covered by the Workers’ Compensation Act. Information regarding this act appears on yellow signs that have been posted in several locations in our building, along with the list of Safety Committee members.

If you experience an injury on the job, you should notify your supervisor immediately, who will send you for the appropriate medical care. Your supervisor should fill out an “Employer’s First Report of Occupational Injury or Illness” form, accessible by clicking here, and file it with the University’s Workers’ Compensation Insurance Carrier and with the state Workers’ Compensation Commission. In addition, you should file an official claim. Use form 30C titled “Notice of Claim for Compensation” which can be accessed by clicking here. This form is different from the one filed by your supervisor. Filing this “written notice of claim” puts your claim on record. It is recommended that you file it as soon as possible after your injury.

YOU ARE ADVISED TO FILE A CLAIM NO MATTER HOW MINOR THE INJURY, BECAUSE IF A REPORT IS NOT FILED, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COLLECT WORKERS’ COMPENSATION AT A LATER DATE. The statute of limitations for filing a compensation claim for an accidental injury is one year from the date of the injury, while for an occupational disease it is three years from the first manifestation of a symptom.

More information about Workers’ Compensation and what to do if you are injured on the job can be found at the Workers’ Compensation Commission Website at


If you are involved in an accident or experience an injury while on campus, be sure to contact the University Police, who will file an accident report. This will probably be necessary for your own insurance, and will help the committee identify potential hazards and dangers.



Charles Carlone : Facilities,

Angela Brightly : Associate Campus Director,

Bette Ellis: Assistant Registrar,

Judith Meyer : Faculty, History Department,

David Steele : Information Technology Services,

Janet Swift : University Assistant Librarian,

Nina Stein (Chairman): Faculty, Chemistry Department,